National Park and Recreation Month
The month will be kicked off with a proclamation by the Gwinnett County Board of Commissioners on July 7, at 2 p.m. and continue all month long with various events throughout the county. This year’s celebration is very special because it is both the 50th Anniversary of the National Park and Recreation Association (NRPA) and the 30th Anniversary of the dedicated month. To celebrate the anniversary of National Park and Recreation Month, this year’s theme has a totally rad 80’s focus. The entire month will be filled with ongoing activities and special events, including music, games, swimming, food and more:
- June 29 through July 3 – Swim Safely Week at various Gwinnett County Aquatic Facilities with games, activities and prizes given throughout the week. Times and locations can be found at gwinnettparks.com.
- July 2 at 1 p.m. – Stars, Stripes & Sundaes at Bethesda Park Senior Center, 225 Bethesda Church Rd., Lawrenceville. Seniors, age 50 and up can enjoy ice cream and a patriotic sing-a-long. $4/person.
- July 10 at 11 a.m. – Brown Bag Concert at Gwinnett Historic Courthouse, 185 Crogan St., Lawrenceville. This is a free event featuring a steel drums concert by Scott Douglas, lawn games, face painting, kid’s crafts and crazy hair.
- July 11 at 5 p.m. – Like, Totally 80’s at Rhodes Jordan Park, 100 East Crogan St., Lawrenceville. A free event with an 80’s dress contest, inflatables, music, trivia contest, concessions, photo booth, face painting, crazy 80’s hair and more. At dusk, stay for the free Movie Under the Stars showing Back to the Future sponsored by B98.5.
- July 13 at 2 p.m. – Monday Movie Matinee at Bethesda Park Senior Center, 225 Bethesda Church Rd., Lawrenceville. Seniors, age 50 and up can enjoy a movie, popcorn and a drink for $2/person.
- July 14 at 6:30 p.m. – Dip N’ Dine at Mountain Park Aquatic Center, 1063 Rockbridge Rd., Stone Mountain. Take a dip and dine at the pool! Chick-Fil-A and Kona Ice will be available to purchase dinner and dessert. All ages, regular admission fees and pool rules apply; twilight rates do not apply.
- July 17 at 5:30 p.m. – Music and Scoops at the Gwinnett Historic Courthouse, 185 Crogan St., Lawrenceville. Fun kid’s activities will be available for a nominal fee. Ice cream and food concessions will be available for tasty treats. Free entertainment begins in the Gazebo at 7 p.m. and will feature live music and entertainment by Havana Son.
- July 17 at 6 p.m. – Kids Night Out at Mountain Park Activity Building, 1063 Rockbridge Rd., Stone Mountain. Come chill out with pizza, ice cream sundaes and cool activities! Parents can enjoy a night out. Ages 7 to 13, $12/child, must pre-register by 7/10 by calling 678-277-0179.
- July 17 at 6:30 p.m. – Family Night Swim at Collins Hill Park Aquatic Center, 2200 Collins Hill Rd., Lawrenceville. The whole family can enjoy an evening swim. Regular entry fees and all pool rules apply. Twilight rates do not apply, and registration is not required.
- July 18 at 1 p.m. – Chalk About Swimming at Lenora Park Pool, 4315 Lenora Church Rd., Snellville. Celebrate summer by sketching your favorite summer or swimming activity! Contest takes place during open swimming hours. Judging will be at the 3:45 p.m. Safety Break. $3/contest entry fee includes chalk and a space. Must pre-register by July 11. Regular admission fees and pool rules apply. Call 770.982.5309 for more information.
- July 18 at noon – Double Dip: Ice Cream Day at Mountain Park Aquatic Center, 1063 Rockbridge Rd., Stone Mountain. Celebrate National Ice Cream Day with swimming, fun games like “pin the cherry on the ice cream cone” and a no hands ice cream eating contest! To help everyone cool down Bruster’s ice cream will be served. All ages; $6/person, all regular admission fees and pool rules apply.
- July 24 at 6 p.m. – Kid’s Night Out at George Pierce Park Community Recreation Center, 55 Buford Hwy., Suwanee. Enjoy pizza, games, crafts, and more. Ages 7 to 13; $12/child, must pre-register by 7/10 by calling 678-277-0910.
- July 24 at 6:30 p.m. – Battleship Game Night at West Gwinnett Park Aquatic Center, 4488 Peachtree Industrial Blvd., Berkeley Lake. Take part in an immersive game of Battleship with a Dodgeball twist. Players on each team will be given a “ship” to ride which must be sunk by the opposing team. Teams will be divided in age appropriate groups in both indoor pools. The Outdoor Leisure Play Pool will also be open for family swim. All ages, regular admission and pool rules apply. Call 678-409-8801 for more information.
- July 25 at 9 a.m. – Punt, Pass and Kick at Rhodes Jordan Park Soccer Fields, 100 East Crogan St., Lawrenceville. Bring the kids for the free NFL’s national competition! Boys and girls of all ages compete separately in their own age group in punting, passing and kicking. Earn the chance to advance to a regional and state level competition at the Georgia Dome. A valid birth certificate, complete entry form and parental signature are required before competition. Ages 6-15; call 678-277-0860 for more information.
- July 25 at 6:30 p.m. – Hawaiian Luau at Collins Hill Park Aquatic Center, 2200 Collins Hill Rd., Lawrenceville. A fun, Therapeutic Recreation event specifically for those with disabilities and their families. Fun games, hula hoop contest, tropical snacks, limbo contest and traditional Hawaiian leis. All participants, including caregivers must pay to participate. All ages; $7/person if pre-registered by 7/23 or $8/person at the door. Call 678-277-0900 for more information. All pool rules apply.
- July 30 at 6:30 p.m. – Munch-able Masterpieces at Pinckneyville Park Community Recreation Center, 4650 Peachtree Industrial Blvd., Berkeley Lake. Bring the whole family to create edible art dinner and dessert for a fun summer night out! All ages; $7/person, must pre-register by 7/27 by calling 678-277-0920.