Grand Opening Celebration of Freeman’s Mill Park Saturday, May 8

Tweet The Grand Opening Celebration of Freeman’s Mill Park will take place Saturday, May 8, 2010 at 10am. Members of the board of commissioners, the Recreation Authority and active members of the community will performa Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony at 10 a.m. The festivities will take place between 10:30a.m. and 2:00 p.m. with free kids activities, historical demonstrations, guided tours and more. The park features a restored historic gristmill (a building in which grain is ground into flour), playground featuring replica gristmill, a half mile paved multi-purpose trail and restrooms. According to OurTown (Snellville), “The mill was built sometime between 1868 and 1879 by brothers John Griffin Loveless and Levi J. Loveless. In 1913 W. Scott Freeman and his son, Winfield, owned it until it was purchased in 1915 by Newt Pharr. Winfield descendants continued to operate the mill through the twentieth century. In the late 1990’s the mill was placed on the National Register of Historic Places for its significance in architecture, engineering, industry, and social history. As of 1996, the mill was the only working grist mill remaining in Gwinnett County .” Park hours are from sunrise until sunset unless posted otherwise. Park Info:    770.822.8840 Historic Info:    770.904.3500 Location: 1401 Alcovy Road, Lawrenceville, GA 30045 MASTER PLAN (PDF Downlaod) Grist...

Read More

FREEMAN’S MILL PARK NOW OPEN

Tweet Where can Gwinnett’s kids go to see that groceries didn’t always come from the local grocery store? At Gwinnett County Parks & Recreation’s Freeman’s Mill Park, kids will get the opportunity to play among history. This newest park along the banks of the Alcovy River includes a unique playground that replicates a gristmill, picnic pavilion, half-mile multi-purpose trail, parking and restroom facilities as well as the historic Freeman’s grist mill. The mill was built sometime between 1868 and 1879 by brothers John Griffin Loveless and Levi J. Loveless. In 1913 W. Scott Freeman and his son, Winfield, owned it until it was purchased in 1915 by Newt Pharr. Winfield descendants continued to operate the mill through the twentieth century. In the late 1990’s the mill was placed on the National Register of Historic Places for its significance in architecture, engineering, industry, and social history. As of 1996, the mill was the only working grist mill remaining in Gwinnett County. Freeman’s Mill played an important role in the local community in early Gwinnett County. Local farmers would bring their wheat and corn to the miller to be turned into flour and meal. Alcova Baptist Church, located up the street from the mill, used the mill pond for baptisms and the millhouse itself, provided a gathering place for the surrounding rural community. The water powered grist mill was preferred by many farmers because it would grind the corn more slowly than electric mills, resulting in a sweeter taste. The mill changed hands several times over the years until Gwinnett County purchased the mill and surrounding property in 2002 with funding available from the Georgia Greenspace Program and the 2005 SPLOST. In 2009, the county raised and restored the mill and surrounding 12 acres for educational and recreational use offering Gwinnett County citizens a sense of the agricultural past. Freeman’s Mill Park is located at 1401 Alcovy Road in Lawrenceville. Park hours are sunrise to sunset. For more information, visit www.gwinnettparks.com or call (770) 822-5178. Master Plan...

Read More