If the sound of a train whistle makes you smile, plan a trip on the SAM Shortline Excursion Train. Based at Georgia Veterans State Park in Cordele, the train takes you over Lake Blackshear and past pecan groves to a handful of attractions. Depending on which day you travel, you can visit President Jimmy Carter’s boyhood farm, Habitat for Humanity’s Global Village, downtown Plains, historic Americus and even a little-known but fascinating telephone museum. The 2012 schedule has just been posted on SamShortline.com. Themed train rides include a classic car show in April and Thomas the Tank Engine in October. Tickets ar $17.99 to $35.99 for regular excursions. The train is great for church outings, family reunions, birthday parties and other groups. For more information, call 1-877-GA-RAILS (427-2457).
- Spring Bridal Brunch and Learn/Fashion Show, March 10, 10:30am-1:30pm
- Make A Splash At Gwinnett County Aquatic Centers
- An Engaging Affair Bridal Show at Gwinnett Historic Courthouse
- “Historic Preservation and State Park Day” set for February 15 near Georgia State Capitol
- Suwanee’s Super Incredible Race, April 21