The Grand Opening Celebration of Freeman’s Mill Park will take place Saturday, May 8, 2010 at 10am. Members of the board of commissioners, the Recreation Authority and active members of the community will performa Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony at 10 a.m.
The festivities will take place between 10:30a.m. and 2:00 p.m. with free kids activities, historical demonstrations, guided tours and more.
The park features a restored historic gristmill (a building in which grain is ground into flour), playground featuring replica gristmill, a half mile paved multi-purpose trail and restrooms.
According to OurTown (Snellville), “The mill was built sometime between 1868 and 1879 by brothers John Griffin Loveless and Levi J. Loveless. In 1913 W. Scott Freeman and his son, Winfield, owned it until it was purchased in 1915 by Newt Pharr. Winfield descendants continued to operate the mill through the twentieth century. In the late 1990’s the mill was placed on the National Register of Historic Places for its significance in architecture, engineering, industry, and social history. As of 1996, the mill was the only working grist mill remaining in Gwinnett County .”
Park hours are from sunrise until sunset unless posted otherwise.
Park Info: 770.822.8840
Historic Info: 770.904.3500
Location: 1401 Alcovy Road, Lawrenceville, GA 30045
MASTER PLAN (PDF Downlaod)